- This is an antique brooch, which is made very much in the traditional Victorian style.
- It is stamped “375” for solid 9 carat gold, which is both matt and polished on the decorative front surface. It bears full hallmarks for Chester 1904 and weighs 4.43 grams. The securing pin is a gold plated base metal.
- It is set with 6 little seed pearls, three on either side of a central ruby, 3mm in diameter . The brooch is 4.7cm long and 1.8cm high.
- It is what is known as a “mourning brooch”, as the back has a glass panel, which is supposed to hold the lock of hair of a loved one, not necessarily deceased. However, there is no hair in this one and the piece is in excellent overall condition, with no damage/repair or obvious signs of wear.
- An unusual and well made piece of antique jewellery.